CD Review: U2 - Rattle And Hum
CD Information and Notes:
- U2 are Paul "Bono Vox" Hewson (vocals); Dave "The Edge" Evans (guitar, background vocals); Adam Clayton (bass); Larry Mullen, Jr. (drums).
- Additional personnel: B.B. King (vocals, guitar); Brian Eno (keyboards); Tom Petty, Benmont Tench, The Memphis Horns, Bob Dylan, The New Voices Of Freedom.
- Recorded live during the Joshua Tree Tour in the U.S. and Europe in 1987.
- The aural companion to the band documentary of the same name, Rattle and Hum is where U2's began to tire of being the anthem-making rock heroes they had become in the '80s. That's not to say the songs didn't approach serious subject matter, but there was more musical and lyrical diversity than on albums past. They repeatedly play with the rock & roll myth throughout Rattle and Hum, covering the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" and Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," casting aspersions on "the golden age of pop" on "God Part II" and busting out their own blistering version of the Bo Diddley beat on the irresistible "Desire."
- The band began to explore American roots music as well. "Angel of Harlem," a tune about Billie Holiday, was recorded in Memphis' famed Sun Studios. Bono makes his first official Gospel foray on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." The lads from Dublin even collaborate with B.B. King on "When Love Comes To Town." Rattle & Hum is wonderfully schizophrenic, full of passion and ambition.
Prices and where to buy it online:
You can buy U2 Rattle And Hum at Amazon.com
U2 Rattle And Hum Song List:
- Helter Skelter (3:07)
- Van Diemen's land (3:06)
- Desire (2:58)
- Hawkmoon 269 (6:22)
- All allong the watchtower (4:24)
- I still haven't found what I'm looking for, with New voices of Freedom (5:53)
- Freedom for my people performed by S. Magee (:38)
- Silver and gold (5:50)
- Pride (in the name of love) (4:27)
- Angel of Harlem (3:49)
- Love rescue me with Bob Dylan (6:23)
- When love comes to town with B.B.King (4:14)
- Heartland (5:02)
- God part II (3:15)
- The Star Spangled Banner performed by J.Hendrix (:43)
- Bullet the blue sky (5:37)
- All I want is you (6:30)
U2 Rattle And Hum Pictures and Wallpapers:
CD Critic Quotes and Reviews:
- Rolling Stone - 3.5 Stars - Very Good
- CMJ (1/5/04, p.26)
- Ranked #7 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1989"
- Release Date: 10/11/1988
- Original Release Date: 1988
- Label : Island Records (USA)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Runtime: 72m : 34s
- Studio/Live: Mixed
- Mono/Stereo: Stereo
- Producer: Jimmy Iovine
- Engineer: Shelly Yakus; Kevin Killen